Welcome to D T Quilts!

This blog will chronicle my quilting experiences. I have been sewing since my grandmother taught me to as a child. I loved it even then. I began quilting in 2004 to make a quilt of my daughter's school uniforms. Check out the Lauren's Sacred Heart Quilt page. I fell in love with quilting and have not stopped since. I belong to several great quilt guilds. Happy Quilting!



Monday, August 23, 2010

Design Wall Monday


The Christmas quilt I am making makes a good argument for not just buying fabric to add to your stash in hopes that one day you will find a pattern for it.  Last year after Christmas I bought fabric on sale vowing that by next Christmas I would have a Christmas quilt on my bed.  I did not have a specific pattern, but I bought 4 of the fabrics in this collection.  I found a pattern that looks like poinsettas- perfect.  What is not pictured is the sashing.  I thought I had enough, but as I began putting the blocks together, I miscounted how many pieces I needed for the sashing.  I didn't have enough fabric.  Thankfully, I was able to find 2 yds. on clearance at quiltshops.com.  Without it, I would have had 3/4 of a quilt.  My stash is going to dwindle because this has taught me to buy fabric when I know what I am going to do with it.  No more buying fabric to sit for years in hopes that one day.......

9 comments:

  1. I haven't had that happen yet, but I do mostly scrap quilts.

    Looks like it's going to be a lovely Christmas quilt, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had that happen too- or waiting too long to make a project that the line is discontinued and then make a cutting error or decide to change the layout/size--nightmeres--you waste so much time trying to find 1/2 yard of fabric--or even a FQ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, I have a whole closet of "one day I'm gonna make something" fabrics, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have had that happen to me too but I still can't stop buying some fabrics impulsively. I have had to make some design changes in the quilts when I ran out but many cases I just got lucky and found more fabric in my travles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Vicki and Mary-Kay...

    Quilting has always been about the fabric for me. I love to shop at quilt shops. I love to buy fabric. Making quilts is secondary more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, love to buy fabric just because I love it. I do buy 4 - 5 yards just so I will have enough when it tells me what it wants to be. Then after it has become a quilt, it usually also becomes part of a backing, strings in a block, or an accent in a charity quilt. I love buying fabric and then shopping in my stash when a quilt wants to get made. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pattern. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fabrics are truly yummy! That's a really great red. It will be a beauty for sure. I actually have a hard time buying fabric that I don't know what I will be using it for, unless it is the occasional "gotta have it". Must be my frugal grandmas sitting on my shoulders telling me not to waste!

    ReplyDelete