Welcome to D T Quilts!

This blog will chronicle my quilting experiences. I have been sewing since my grandmother taught me to as a child. I loved it even then. I began quilting in 2004 to make a quilt of my daughter's school uniforms. Check out the Lauren's Sacred Heart Quilt page. I fell in love with quilting and have not stopped since. I belong to several great quilt guilds. Happy Quilting!



Monday, October 3, 2011

Design Wall Monday

This summer I made Flavin Glover's A Day at the Beach.  It is a horizontal pictoral of a beach scene.  It is being longarmed now.  Don't have it back yet.  I love the beach, so this is one of my favorite quilts ever.  This one is mine to keep. 

 Last month one of my best friend's daughter bought a house in Destin, FL.  She loves the beach and it was her dream to work and live there.  She is a lovely, responsible girl, in her 20s.  I've watched her grow up through the years.  This is her housewarming gift.  A Day at the Beach which I modified for a throw.  While the one above is big- over 90 X 70, this one is 54 X 72.  It was a great size for me to machine quilt on my domestic machine.  I loved machine quilting this one.  I did wavy lines in the clouds, starburst lines in the sun and beach unbrellas, stitch in the ditch in the sailboats, swirls in the water and just a loopy pattern in the sand.  Hope she likes it!



4 comments:

  1. Very nice. Should keep you warm this winter working on the sand and the sumshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could she not like it? I remember seeing the original one you did, and thought it fabulous. I can understand you claiming it as yours. The throw version captures the feeling of the larger one. I'm sure she'll be thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Those are wonderful, really evoke the warm sand and sun and the water and sky. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutly wonderful. I have been to a show of Flavin's quilts and she also was a teacher at the local guild. I love her quilts but don't think I would ever attempt to make one. Both of yours are wonderful, Flavin would be proud.

    ReplyDelete