Welcome to D T Quilts!

This blog will chronicle my quilting experiences. I have been sewing since my grandmother taught me to as a child. I loved it even then. I began quilting in 2004 to make a quilt of my daughter's school uniforms. Check out the Lauren's Sacred Heart Quilt page. I fell in love with quilting and have not stopped since. I belong to several great quilt guilds. Happy Quilting!



Monday, June 23, 2014

What Am I Working on Now?

Wow!  Didn't realize I hadn't updated this blog since February.  Where has the time gone?  I don't remember what I've done in the meantime, but here's what I am currently working on. 

Of course I should be working on my 2 Judy Niemeyer quilts.  I bought Glacier Star as a block-of-the-month several years ago.  I'm on step 2.  More on that one later.  In April I took a class with Judy to make the 4th of July quilt.  So, am I working on those?  No.....

I signed up to do Gyleen Fitzgerald's summer camp.  It is online with instructions emailed every week, sometimes several times a week.  The quilt is a utility quilt, 60 X 60, to be used for picnics, beach, etc.  The top is done and the instructions for the pieced back are coming today.  I was able to use some scraps and some fabric that I had little left.  Also, some pieces that I thought what in the world am I going to do with that?

I got my Easy Street quilt, Bonnie Hunter's mystery from 2012, back from the quilter.  Loretta Webre quilted it and she did a fabulous job quilting it in a fleur de lis pattern.  The back is a blue and white toile and it is so soft.  It is on my bed now and I just love it!  It is a perfect summer quilt.

I didn't do Bonnie's 2013 mystery quilt, Celtic Solstice.  Her mysteries begin the day after Thanksgiving and end January 1.  For many, that is the busiest time of the year.  And she likes quilts with small pieces.  I believe one of her recent mysteries had 4,300+ pieces!  I get so many donation quilts done by having a leader and ender project.  I typically do scrap strip blocks.  But, I had a great idea!  My favorite BH quilt is Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll.  So, I thought, why not do that quilt as a leader and ender project?  It took me about a week to cut out the thousands of pieces.  I sewed together the pieces waiting to assemble the main blocks.  Now I will do the 600 red/white half square triangles as leader and enders while working on my Judy Niemeyer quilts.  Good plan, huh?  Here are the blacks I have together so for.  What I do is after I have 20 red/white half square triangles together I  stop and piece a block together.  I hope to have this one together by the end of the year.  Maybe in time for her next mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment